Israel’s History. This nation is very significant, more than the United States itself!
- Israel was the new name of Jacob, son of Isaac, given to him by God. Jacob (Israel) was the father of twelve sons, who became the founders of the twelve tribes of Israel.
- Israel has a very significant early history. Saul became the first king of Israel after the Israelites rejected God, but he killed himself in battle and did not follow the Lord. David then became king. David defeated Israel’s enemies with the help of God, and was, as the Bible put it, “A man after God’s own Heart” (Acts 13:22). After David’s son Solomon, who was at first faithful to the Lord, but then followed the ways of man in his later life, Rehoboam became king, and Israel divided into two kingdoms, the other being Judah. Israel was destroyed, and Judah many years later, so Israel as a whole became part of numerous empires.
- Around the year 0 A.D. a baby was born. He grew into a man, and was named Jesus. Jesus in my eyes is the Lord, God the Son, but to many he was either a prophet of God, or not God at all, though few believe that he didn’t exist. Jesus was not just a prophet! He preached to all who listened and left none out. His words were of kindness and forgiveness. He was God, and he proclaimed himself to be so. He was 100 percent man and 100 percent God. In about 33 A.D, the Pharisees of Israel tried Jesus for false prophesizing, and sent him to die on the cross. He was tortured beyond belief and suffered beyond recognition. He was spit on and mocked, and forced to carry his own cross up the same mountain that Isaac had nearly sacrificed his own son many years before. Jesus even forgave all of those who had tortured him, and one of the men on a cross next to him accepted Jesus as Lord. After he said “It is Finished!” (John 19: 30), Jesus died, the Holy Tabernacle’s thick curtain was split in two, and the Moon became as Red as Blood. Jesus rose from the grave three days later. I have only mentioned a little of the history of Israel up to this point: the rest can be found in the Bible itself.
- Israel became the Kingdom of Jerusalem in 1099, due to the Crusades. It would fall again to the Muslims in 1187, and there would be many more Crusades to recapture it.
- In 1948, Israel declared itself independent once again from the Muslim states, and gained much territory from them. Israel was involved in many more wars after that. After both the Yom Kippur War, in which the Muslim states launched an attack on Israel during the holiday of Yom Kippur, and the Six Day War, Israel became a larger nation, gaining more territory, and it finally reclaimed Jerusalem for its own. The Middle-Eastern states are seeking to deprive Israel of its gains: the West Bank, Jerusalem, and the Sinai are very contested by the Palestinians and the Muslim States. Israel beat all of the odds to defeat the Muslim states, and it will not give in to them.
And that is five things you need to know about Israel. Your views may not be the same as mine on the subject, but this is my point of view.